Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Beneath The Surface by Miranda Rae Carter

Beneath The Surface
Miranda Rae Carter
2013
978-1-4602-1979-9
Adolescence hasn’t been fun for Liss Lawrence. And after a year in Vancouver, when she’s finally adjusted to her new situation, a freak car accident sends her life spinning out of control and crashing into the world of the malions, a hidden race silently helping humanity from secret enclaves underground. 

Liss’s knowledge of the malions endangers her family when Jaredsons Securities takes an interest in her accident. Few know the men of Jaredsons Securities, an international intelligence company specializing in missing persons cases, are actually the Vykhars, ancient malion enemies whose true purpose is the eradication of the malion race. The Vykhars will stop at nothing to discover if Liss is connected with the malions, and if they do, they will exploit her. 

Perhaps more dangerous still are Liss’s growing feelings for Rion, a strong-willed malion scarred by his encounters with Vykhars and carrying a secret that could destroy their relationship. But Liss has a secret and scars of her own, and Rion’s fiercely protective nature threatens to tear them back open. 

Can this pair of unlikely lovers survive the dangers of the Vykhars? And can their love survive their own misconceptions?

Reviewed by Nichole Smith for Love Romance Books Blog
My Honest Thoughts
I give this book five out of five stars

   I am a huge fan of paranormal romance books and though I am a mother of three I do so enjoy reading books aimed at young adults as well. I found this book entertaining and it is a book that I am going to be letting my daughter read as well. I was a little confused right at first when I began the book, but once I really got into the book any questions I had were all answered.
    Lissa reminds me a lot of a friend of mine so it was easy to identify with her character. When someone has been put through a lot of crap in their short life it is just easy to be closed off from people and it takes A LOT to trust people. I think Carter did an amazing job at making the character so easy to understand, at least from my point of view. As far as Lissa’s sister and her friend, I think everyone knows many teenagers that are that selfish. I would like to think that they grew up a lot but it is highly doubtful as a lot of people that are this way tend to never grow out of acting as though they should be treated better than everyone else and they should always come first.
   Rion is sweet in his own way and the love he has for Lissa is real. I think the fact that he is so loyal to his family as well as to Lissa is something you just do not see much anymore. I loved the action and the romance that was associated with Rion. Though he did seem to get mad easily, I think it is just a guy thing and something I did not dwell on. I will admit there were a few times where I rolled my eyes on his overreacting, but then again Lissa had her share of the same thing.


     All in all I would love to see this book in a series where we can find out more about Rion’s family, especially his brother. I thought this was a good book and it was an enjoyable read. Great job Miranda Rae Carter!

No comments:

Post a Comment